Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:28:37 -0700
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Great Danes (NVC)
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@rcn.com>

Just to answer your question... Great Dane breeders have not been the most responsible group of people as a whole. Over breeding is an issue with this dog. People who then aquire a non-show quality Dane have NO idea what they are getting into. A 100-175 lb dog with the personality of a three year old boy. Total mischief. Hence the dogs occasionally wear out their welcome and they are hard to place.

We have a five or six year old Dane, found wandering the streets of Los Banos, CA , who is a sweetheart but what a pain the butt keeping everything away from her. She will chew up shoes, clothes, fish food, cats, etc.

(RVC) Two years ago at the Burning Van party, we were waitng for all the Northern California sluffoffs to show up (you know who you are) at Ocean Beach in SF. A little boy walks up the steps from the beach, turns the corner, and sees the Dane. He yells "Mommy. mommy... A GOAT!!!!". With Wagnes being a merle colored dog, I saw the reason for the cornfusion.

tim in san jose

On 10/10/05, Larry Alofs <lalofs@rcn.com> wrote: > > So, why do so many Great Danes need rescuing? > > curious, > Larry A. > > > > Marc Sayer wrote: > > >> After all these 'discussions' on tires I was wondering if anyone was > >> using > >> their Vanagon as a work truck? > > > > > > > > Yep, though my work is kind of different than most. We got ours > > specifically to use as a treansport vehicle for our rescue dogs. We can > > fit 5-10 great danes in the Vanagon and it can handle them both in terms > > of weight and volume. Given that a grown Dane can weigh anywhere from 90 > > to 200 lbs, 5-10 Great Danes can vary in weight from 500 to 1500 lb., > > sometimes even more. No other van gives us the small size, cross country > > ability (we sometimes have to go pretty far out in the country getting > > or delivering these dogs, we see a fair amount of off road time), > > capacity, and mileage. Not our 1 ton Ford stretch E350 (best cargo/load > > capacity, good awful milegae at 7 mpg in town and 9.5 mpg on the > > highway), not our E150 1/2 ton van conversion (most cushy and luxurious > > plus we can watch videos, good cargo capacity but no load capacity or > > ground clearance), not the stretch Aerostar AWD (great mileage, power, > > and traction but no ground clearance and no load capacity). > > > > -- > > Marc Sayer > > Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) > > Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association > > Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. > > Springfield, OR USA > > > > My Homepage - http://gracieland.org > > > > Deaf Dane Rescue Homepage - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/ > > > > > > > > > > -- > > No virus found in this outgoing message. > > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > > Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.10/120 - Release Date: 10/5/05 > > >

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.