Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:25:51 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1990 Westy - do 3 transmissions have same problem?
Comments: To: Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>

It is possible that you are installing the guide bracket for the shift rod on the wrong side of the casting mount for it. The bracket goes in front of that casting.

Dennis

Hi all,

I've been having weird transmission problems with my 1990 Westy manual transmission. I've put in two used transmissions and the same problem still comes up. Now I'm considering buying a remanufactured one, but I fear the same problem will arise. Here's the problem:

My original transmission (at least I thought it was original) lost its second gear. It first started popping out, then I'd try to hold it in gear until it went away altogether (insert sound of grinding here). I took it to the VW shop here and the diagnosis was "internal trans issue."

So I bought and installed a used transmission, and the same thing happened. It wouldn't stay in second gear (fourth gear stayed in no problem).

The linkage was adjusted correctly, and I even disassembled the linkage and shifted it into second manually (crawling under the bus), and found no gear there. I thought - "bad luck - I got another bad transmission."

So I took it back and they gave me another one, I put it in, and this one doesn't stay in second gear either. All the other gears seem fine.

When I was under the bus, I noticed that there were 8 bolt holes where the front end of the transmission bolts into the frame of the bus instead of 4 ("front end" meaning where the transmission bushing bolts into the frame of the bus). It seems like a previous owner shifted the front end of the transmission to the left by an inch (maybe the original bolt holes stripped out). Could this possibly have an effect on second gear shifting? Are the eight bolt holes for the transmission normal? What are the odds of having three transmissions with bad second gears?

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,

Mark