Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:32:31 -0400
From:         Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: 90 Carat Auto TDI Conversion: MPG ect.
Comments: To: Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>

Not trying to justify anything, but driving 55MPH out west is like cleaning the floor with a toothbrush. The roads are straight as an arrow and flatter than a pancake and go on forever!

In general though my opinion is the same - driving an automatic Vanagon with non lock up converter more than 50-55 mph is like trying to empty the Titanic with a mop bucket. The more wind resistance the greater slippage in the torque converter and everyone pretty much agrees these vehicles are prone to the influence of wind. If I have the discipline and nerve to drive on the interstate at a steady 55MPH (keeping a weather eye in the rear view) as opposed to trying to keep it at 70 I gain about 3MPG. My old bus and I often would stay behind trailer trucks to take advantage of the sucking action, but as I got older I decided that wasn't the best way to travel. IT does work though, one trip I remember following a truck from NovaScotia all the way from Brunswick to Houlton and got nearly 26MPG - all at 70MPH in a 2L air cooled!

Best Regards Howard Allen S. Portland, Maine

Think about packaging as an enabling technology