Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:02:04 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: re. Subject: German Syncro 16" driver is greeting...

The "LT" designation has always been Light Truck as opposed to the split rim types that were prevalant at the time. Small truck at the time of the designation was aimed more at vehicles with gross weights like our vanagons are. Many of the small mini pickups of that time were nothing but pax cars with a truck body on the suspension. A light truck was usually 1/3 ton net load and a heavy duty body. Many 1/4 ton were not considered light truck unless built on a commercial frame. However the LT is being dropped off of a lot of tires. It is not a mandatory item. What is mandatory is the little numbers. The little ford trucks we have at work do not have the LT but the sidewalls show a service of 100. A service level of 100 is 1764lbs. Max cargo on the vehicle is 1400lbs and a recommended max of 1200lbs.

Load range designations of C/D/E etc are dissappearing just like their predecessors the 4/6/8 ply ratings. They are being replaced with the service level designation. A service level of 100 is 1764lbs. Sometimes you will find all three ratings on a tire. jimt On 10/8/05 6:16 AM, "Andrew Grebneff" <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote: