Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:50:04 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any way to transfer LP from gas grill tanks into the vanagon
              LP
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@mail.crcn.net>

Also FWIW ---- Ontario Provincial Parks are now begging campers to take those disposable propane containers home for local disposal --- because it costs $2.50 each for the park to dispose of them. Pretty shocking when the things only cost about 3 bucks each. Cheers, Doug

On 10/11/05, Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@mail.crcn.net> wrote: > > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:15:06 -0700, Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> > wrote: > > >Chris, > >Any history of usage with this set up. > >How many times have you used it? > >How long to fill? > >Problems? > >Thing you would do different? > >Etc? > >Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:56:30 -0400 > >From: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM> > >When I had the valve on my propane tank changed the guy that did the work > >also made up a "cheater hose" for me. The fitting on one end matches the > >van, the fitting on the other end matches a standard tank. Hook em up, > open > >the valves and voila! > > > To the list: > jimt's posts in the archives give an informative test of refilling the > Westie Tank and worth a read. > > My recent experience: > > I found an "Auto-Propane" to "POD" Adapter at a local propane supplier > (Superior Propane in > Canada) and a 4' POD male to male Hose that hooks-up to current refillable > portable tanks. A bit > pricey (aprox. $65 Can$) but when out of propane in the middle of > where-ever.... priceless! > > Used this set-up once on my last trip. As per my experience, woke-up in > the morning... no fridge > no stove..... out of propane! Pull out the adapter hose and fitting, > extract the Manchester #5 tank > (holds about 4# of propane... slightly less than 1USgal), from the Luggage > Compartment, > assemble tank and hose, hook to Westie auto-fill fitting, open valve on > portable tank and listen to > the wonderful sound of propane flowing into the Westie Tank. Retire to the > Westie, make coffee, > drink coffee, guess this worked pretty slick! Oh, restart fridge.... 8-) > > Later, went out to inspect this set-up. Test joints with soapy water... no > leaks as all three joints > are, "o-ring" seals, essentially hand-tightened. Didn't try filling the > Westie Tank by inverting the > portable tank... up-side-down and elevating portable tank above the Westie > Tank. Me too lazy and > WANTED coffee. At a more civil hour, packed-up my stuff and headed to > town. Filled Westie Tank, > took about 3-USgals.... so seems as if not much filling took place. > Essentially, the portable tank > just flows through the Westy Tank, supply gas to the system. Worked Ok. > > Carrying a "spare" portable tank is a pain. Where to store outside the > Van? I carry mine up in the > centre of the luggage rack with the bow of my canoe (when I carry it) > covering the tank. Provides > some weather protection and increased security in event of a crash. Do not > want a flying propane > tank sent down the highway.... > > FWIW. When purchasing the adapter fitting and hose, I pressured the > propane clerk guy to sell me > a non-refillable bottle adapter (an adapter that fits onto those 1 lb > green disposable tanks. He > rightly held his ground saying: you don't want any of those.... go with > the refillable! But I am only > going to use this when I run out of propane... like once a year... and > carrying the disposable > cylinders is so much easier? Go with the refillable he says. But, but, > but... I don't have an excess of > storage space for a propane tank? Go with the refillable he says again. > > Down the road a bit, at a State Park in somewheresville.. I read a rant > from the Park Ranger > regarding those little green disposable bottles..... "Please take your > bottles home with you and do > not leave them here!" They gave some statistics of how many bottles they > get "stuck with" each > year. The cost of safe legal disposal..... Glad the propane guy I bought > my stuff from stood his > ground..... > > As always, your milage may vary... > > Phil Z. '87 Westy > Campbell River, BC >