Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:37:58 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Heater Question

Jonce

It's a good idea before you try to start this heater to make an inspection of the heater.

look for fuel leaks or wet hoses. Look to see that the exhaust or the heater has not become a mouse nest. There is a black fuse holder under the dash with green wires attached- remove this fuse . Then you can turn the heater on and blow out any stuff that may be in the burn chamber or blower ducts.

Once you have determined that all is Ok, move the second lever on the heat/defrost control panel full right.

Turn the key on without starting the engine.

Turn the green heater knob right to the 3:00 position.

After you have done this and you are sure there is nothing blockling the exhaust or blower outlets, replace the fuel pump fuse and repeat.

With the fuel pump fuse out, after a while heater wil shut down automatically.

You must then reset the safety switch which is under the dash to the right of the steering column. Gently flick this lever .

After you have the fuse back in, if the heater does not ignite, the safety switch will trigger.

If the heater won't ignite, then you have to troubleshoot (glow/spark plug, etc)

Try the above first , park over non-flammable surfaces, be ready to pull the fuel pump fuse if you see fuel leaks or it smokes heavily. Better to be ready to disable the fuel pump, laying down with your hand ready to pull a wire off of the fuel pump is what I do.

From the driver's side, you can observe everything. You need to remove the metal cover if it has one, and charge the battery fully.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/