Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:02:01 -0400
From:         Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic vs. 4 Speed Transmission
Comments: To: Mark Baker <mr_dogpants@YAHOO.COM>

This may be one of those, "just my opinion" responses, but here it is.

I have owned an air-cooled bus ('77 Wolfsburg limited edition yet!) with the 4 speed manual and currently own a '84 automatic. The newer bus is water cooled and less displacement but more horsepower. I believe my aircooled manual would easily out accelerate the '84. Fuel economy was the same between them, about 20MPG with reasonable driving. I believe that if I had a manual transmission I would gain about 3 MPG. The '84 does not feature a lock up converter which does not help in this area.

My '84 has about 174,000 miles on it which speaks highly of the durability of the VW automatic. Contrast that with my wife's minivan (Plymouth Caravan) with only 84,000 miles on it - I just forked out $1400 for a replacement transmission which is warranted for only 24 months.

Additionally, if the VW transmission does give up, I am not sure how easy it is to rebuild or replace since used units are probably as rare as hen's teeth.

For my money, give me a standard transmission anyday, I know how to replace clutches!

Best Regards Howard Allen S. Portland, Maine

Think about packaging as an enabling technology