Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:34:07 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Automatic vs. 4 Speed Transmission
Comments: To: Mark Baker <mr_dogpants@yahoo.com>

I have owned three manual tranny vans - a '68 aircooled, an 85 Vanagon GL with the 1.9L engine and curently an '88GL bot of the latter are the watercooled vehicles. On the '68 I had to have the tranny rebuilt - pricey! on the '88 GL I had to have the tranny rebuild - Pricey!, the '85 GL went 205,000 miles without a rebuild but did call for a new clutch at about 190,000.

While I have never driven the autotranny version of these vehicles, from every bit of information I have gleaned from the Vanagon list the auto tranny is hell-for-stout. Mile for mile it will give you fewer problems than the manual tranny will. Also, the auto tranny has the added advantage of being easily rebuildable by the home mechanic with reasonable mechanical skills and a decent tool box. The manual tranny requires special jigs for assembly and those suckers ain't cheap.

I suspect the auto tranny vehicle is easy to drive, and one on the road and rolling along it's not much different thant driving a manual tranny in high gear. There is a big difference in city driving however, with all the stopping and starting. manual trannies will wear you out in heavy city traffic, 'specially around quitting time.

Then there is the age factor - not the Vanagons age, but the Vanagon drivers age. I don't know how many of us out there are over 60, or for that matter even over 50, but the knees begin to tell us maybe we shoul'da bought that nice auto tranny unit last time around. I'll be 66 this month and the left knee keeps telling me to think about an auto tranny model for my daily driver. And I'm starting to listen real close.

The bottom line is - "Yuz pays yuz money and yuz takes yuz chances!"

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver