Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:43:19 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@MAIL.CRCN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Any way to transfer LP from gas grill tanks into the vanagon
              LP

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:13:42 -0400 From: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Any way to transfer LP from gas grill tanks into the vanagon LP tank?

Ok, so , in english I have to hook up something to the coarse outside threads on my auto stop valve.Is this thing called the POL? Then from this, I adapt down to the hose that will connect to the portable propane tank fitting? Then I need this hose to go from this , to the portable tank? This is 3 pieces.I have been looking at the web site of camper world and am confused.I have not seen anything that will connect to these coarse auto stop valve threads.If someone can itemize what is needed and point to a web site (with part numbers)that sell them, I think many would like this(I would). I am nieve about RV LP and such and I am all thumbs here. Does go westy still sell that fill adapter for the atuo stop valve? Have not seen it in their cataloge since 2003.

------------------------------

Hi Roger,

Will try to use plan language to describe the hardware that you are looking for.

You will need the following:

1. (One) Propane Motor Fuel Adapter. For example, Fairview Fittings, Female P.O.L. X 1-3/4" ACME Thread, Part # 2017, page 26 in Fairview's Propane Catalogue. (POL= Prest-o-Lite)

2. (One) Propane Hose Assembly, 3 to 4 feet in length, POL/POL. Meaning a hose with a POL Fitting at each end. The length is not critical. Need enough length to conveniently connect the portable propane bottle to the permanent tank on your camper.

3. (One) Portable Propane Bottle. The smallest I located was a Manchester #5. Holds 4.5 lbs of propane, about 1 US Gal. You could use a 20 lb more common Gas Barbecue Bottle if you already had one or carry one while camping in your Westie. Where would one store it? NOT INSIDE please.

For more information you might look here, in their Propane Catalogue:

http://www.fairviewfittings.com/products_can.htm

Item 1 above, the adapter, is not a commonly found item. Any place that can fill your Westie tank has one.... duh, but if you steal theirs.... boy will they be pissed... so buy your own please..... 8-) A major propane dealer or gas fitter will either have one or can order one for you. I have yet to see this part for sale on any web-site... Probably for reasons of liability. Since you (we) are doing this for non-commercial purposes the liability issue seems a moot point... Now you have to promise, you will not be filling all your friends empty propane tanks for a surcharge of $6,000..... the cost of a bone stock Syncro...(if you have been following this thread)

Item 2 is a common connection hose that is used to connect portable propane bottles to gas appliances, grills, heaters and the like. Again, a propane dealer will have these.

Item 3 is real available in the larger sizes, like the 20 and 30 pounders. I wanted the smallest one available thus the Manchester #5. Not as common but most ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes carry them.

Before the new portable propane tank regulations took effect (around 2004?) there were a couple of 2 or 3 pound bottles made. But with the now mandatory OPD (Overfill Protection Devise) Valves, the smaller tanks are no longer made. My guess is that the OPD Valves would not fit or work in these smaller bottles. You can get another adapter that would mate item 1, with the real common 1 pound green disposable bottles. As others have posted, these disposable bottles have become a real nightmare for safe disposal. So for the sake of world peace... please use a refillable bottle.

Hope this information points you in a direction that get you what you are looking for....