Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:59:29 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: <No subject given>
Comments: cc: williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU

In a message dated 12/10/2005 4:56:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Ah yes, the propane bleed screw problem.

I must relate my experience filling my propane tank. The attendant couldn't get the bleed screw to work and couldn't get the attachment to work. At any rate the entire parking area around the tank was covered with this white fog of propane. I have no sense of the dynamics of what it takes to cause an explosion but it was pretty freaky and i couldn't extricate myself from it. Propane just kept billowing out, and I just thought to myself that it was going to blow. I didn't want to start the engine because I thought that it might provide the spark that lit the whole thing, but I didn't want to stay there either. The attendant didn't seem to excited about it, and I just sort of rode it out. I would like to know what I can do about that not happening again. They always swear at me concerning the bleed screw and I never know whether it is all bleed screws on all Westfalias, or whether it is MY bleed screw only.

Betcha 100 bucks you have the auto stop fill valve and it has stuck open as so many of them do. Just replace that screwy fill valve with a standard fill valve and outage valve. Check the archives it been covered a gazillion times.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) 1 _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 08 ~ 11, 2006