Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:51:33 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: OXS and battery light on intermitant
Comments: To: Rod Knutson <rodknutson2002@YAHOO.COM>

The only purpose of the OXS light is to let you know it's time to change the O2 sensor.

The OXS light IS NOT connected to the the oxygen sensor itself.

The OXS light is not in any way connected to anything other that the electrical system for power to turn the light on, and a speedometer cable driven counter box underneath the front of the van.

A short speedometer cable comes off the left front wheel and goes to and drives the counter just above the spare tire. From the counter there is an electrical circuit that feeds power to the O2 sensor light. A second speedometer cable comes out of the counter and goes to the speedometer. When the counter registers either 30,000 miles or 60,000 miles - depending on the year of the vehicle - it trips a switch and turns the OXS light on.

On top of the counter there is a reset button that sits in a little recess. For ease of access, you can drop the spare tire, then use a small screwdriver and depress this button to reset the counter. When you do this, the light will go out and not come back on for another 30-60,000 miles, again depending on the year of your vehicle. If you do this procedure, don't forget to change the O2 sensor. It's not like the sensor dies exactly when the light comes on, but they do eventually give up the ghost, and will affect your gas mileage long before they actually quit working.

The fact that your light was covered by tape for some undertimined period of time, the PO obviously didn't know how the thing worked. Who knows how long the O2 sensor has been operating beyond it's useful life. I would change the O2 sensor out NOW since the O2 sensor provides the signal to the ECU to allow it to regulate the fuel mixture for best economy. A used up O2 sensor is definitely NOT going ot help your gas mileage - or power for that matter.

BTW, O2 sensors are relatively inexpensive if you get one that does not have the pre-heater wires - about $40 - and generic ones do work. A Ford O2 sensor will work on the Vans. However, I usually stick with what our list vendors sell. The Bosch unit that is the stock item for the vanagon comes with the long wires for the pre-heat elements and costs about $120.The only reason for the pre-heat elements is to assist the O2 sensor in getting to operating temperature faster as in when there is a cold engine start which requires the engine to run more rich until operating temperature is reached. . There is a small fuel savings by doing this and over time it would add up. In addition, it helps reduce smog.

Regards,

John Rodgers