Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:53:56 -0500
From:         Mark Magee <markbmagee@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: TDIs and Automatic -- Custom Gears?

Try contacting Martin Gear and Sprocket at:

http://www.martinsprocket.com/home.htm

Their plant is in Arkansas and they can make -any- gear, in any quantity, very fast. Their plant is the state of the art. They won't be cheap, but they can normally beat a local machine shop due to their extreme automation.

Mark Magee 90 Carat 94K mi Kemah TX USA

The internals of the automatic Vanagon Transmission are the same as the internals of the A2 Golf/Jetta (1985-1992) transmission with all parts numbers of "010 323 xxx". Obvious difference being the differential housing.

Vanagon R+P 4.09 1st 2.71 2nd 1.50 3rd 1.00

The bad news is that the Golf transmission has the same 1 thru 3 gears. The differential on the Golf is completly different. The Vanagon uses 090 part numbers and the Golf continues to be 010 part nubmers - two totally different beasts. Even the T2 has the 4.09:1 final drive.

With stock 185R14 (25.6") tires gives us 3300 RPM at 100km/h (62MPH) With 215/75R15 (27.6") ties 100km/h falls to 3100 RPM

We have done a Turbo Diesel installation for a customer with an automatic and they were running 215/75R15 tires. It was acceptable. TDI engines really don't want to be above a constant 3500 RPM which limits your "all day long" speed to about 115km/h or 70MPH. TDIs can run faster than this, but this is not something that I would want to do. For the record, my friend in Germany with a Syncro 16 with 6.17:1 final drive runs his TDI at 3800 RPM for hours at a time with no grief - for the record that is 100km/h!

I do laugh when I hear of people wanting to run their Vanagons at 80 to 90 MPH all day. These are vans designed in the 1970s for 1970s speed limits of 90km/h or 55MPH - they do perfectly fine at this speeds and with the TDI in there running at this speed, you would be again perfectly fine.

The key would be to find a place that can make a custom ring and pinion for the automatic. Seeing how Syncro R+Ps are a little over $1000 custom T3 Automatic R+Ps have to be more unless you are making 50+

So, yes, a TDI can go into an automatic T3, just that you are stuck at doing the speed limit found in most places in Canada which is 100km/h or 110km/h in some places. Don't feel bad, people won't be POed at you - after all we are driving a Volkswagen van and Joe Public feels that they are slow anyhow so not a problem! ;-)

Looking at my European ETKA, there IS hope! The NJ Automatic transmisison has a 41/11 R+P which 3.73 final drive. That R+P with stock tires gets you to 3000 RPM at 100km/h with a 3500 RPM speed of 115km/h Uping the tires to a 215/75R15 makes a 100km/h speed of 2900 and a 3500 RPM speed of 120km/h - seems plenty good to me!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.