Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:35:21 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 13 Oct 2005 (#2005-854)
Comments: cc: wbahm@YAHOO.COM

Walter, Many cars go many miles without problems. This is not a car or a truck but a vanagon that is a bit underpowered and if you have the camper package there is a lot of stress placed on the engine. If you have driven it in the mountains near the bay area in the summer you perhaps have stressed it more than most. I would tend to agree with you that 40k is too little miles for the work that was done but it hard to know what has happened to cause this event in your life. Leaking heads is not a really big problem in these vehicles unless they are not fixed. Continue to drive with leaky heads will lead to head replacement again. At this point you may get by with just a head gasket done with the engine in the van. If this is a camper I would spend the money but if it is just a vanagon I would offer it up for sale on craigs list for what you will get from CARB at the starting bid and let the highest bidder get the van. gary Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:32:10 -0700 From: walter bahm <wbahm@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Used Vanagon -second head gasket in 2 yrs.

Greetings,

Having followed the discussions in the background over many years, I have to seek your helpful advice. In the spirit of Don Williams i too have lived the ups and downs of our '86 Vanagon GL with 170K+miles. Our four little kids cannot think of anything more fun than climbing through the back of the van, or pulling out the rear bench to play and sleep.

i've replaced the muffler, hammered out the rear bumper yet again, replaced the CV-joints (thanks BenT), replaced the outside mirror (thanks list), replaced the ignition switch..the reverse switch...the fan switch..ignition wires, etc. The thing that now has me stumped is the head gasket. Two and one-half years ago we had a local shop in Berkeley replace the head gasket and followed the mechanic's advice and had new intake heads and more installed. Less than 40k miles later we again have a head gasket leak; again the passenger side. The local shop is not inclined to be of much help in doing the work again, which leaves me to wonder:

1. is it wise to try to get the head gasket replaced again ? 2. who in the S.F.Bay area is recommended ? 3. at $4k+ a conversion does not fit the budget, but maybe another engine ?; or 4. sell the van to CARB for the $650 and buy a minivan ?

Are there any enterprising mechanics that want to take a stab at this problem ? My knowledge is too limited to dare tear apart the engine within the limited off-street paking available to me.

Your comments are appreciated.

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/