Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Oct 2005 01:16:54 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Tire Report - Summary Conclusion

>I think that report falls into the "I never wear a seatbelt and I'm >OK" category. > >I have driven both vanagons and type2's

Vanagons are Type 2s.

> with car tires and the same >vehicle after with proper tires. The difference in handling is >AMAZING. Understeer and windsway are dramatically reduced. Crosswinds >that would bring on white knuckles with car tires are no big deal >once you put a double-ply sidewall between the rim and the road. The >price difference is not all that great if you do your homework. But >yes, you will have to do your homework as there aren't many shops >that stock the tires are buses were born to run. > >Passenger tires will fit the rims, yes. In the same way that your >engine will also "do the job" if you fill your gas tank with a blend >of toluene and paint thinner. Is it a good idea? Not in my book. But >as they say, "your mileage may vary".

As I keep saying (and it keeps falling on deaf ears), car tires ain't all the same. What tires were you complaining about? I had a set of Riken 205/60/15 GR5s on Mercedes steel wheels on my T2, and they tracked very nicely indeed. Cornering was the best I've seen in a van.

My 4WD Hiace had dual-purpose tires, and these proved themselves ie they did nothing well... undetsreer & more understeer. My current XLWB Hiace has LT tires on it and is an understeering pig around town... no fun at all. I expect that decent car tires would transform it.

Good car tires with suitable load rating will outperform any LT tire by a huge margin. Try it. Don't buy bargain-basement discount tires of any brand... you absolutely can count on it that these tires will only be good for keeping the rims from scraping on the road... maybe.

>I now am driving with tires that meet specs. >I would never consider driving the vehicle without tires that meet >those specs. >If the manufacturer sold the vehicle with a certain standard of tire >for safety why would anyone >who has this information choose to drive the vehicle without out >that standard. >Just does not make sense to me.

Mnufacturers' specs generally have nothing to do with the real world. At best they are butt-covering. Lookit cars... the pressures recommended by the car manufacturers are suited only to comfort, not optimal handling. Best blow them up to 32psi all round... ride will be a little les cushy, but cornering and sdtability will improve a lot... and so probably will tire life. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR