Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:29:01 -0700
From:         Ray Reinhard <rayreinhard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tiico Engine Conversion

I just have to put my two cents worth into the debate on engine swaps. Four years ago, I had Volks Café (Santa Cruz) install a Tiico engine imported from South Africa by one Peter B. At the time, his website stated that this engine met California smog standards (a statement he subsequently deleted from the website) and I bought the engine based on this assurance. His website also stated that the engine was "brand new." Well, the engine was rebuilt, not new, and four years later I am still awaiting California Air Resources Board (CARB) certification. Peter claimed to have obtained this, but when I took it to the referee station (the first step in registering the van in California), they told me that a number of the parts on my engine did not correspond to those that had been granted CARB approval. Peter's solution? Take it to a shop in Sacramento that would (illegally) certify my van as passing smog tests. I have corresponded with him EXTENSIVELY over the past four years (whenever he answers his phone or his e-mail) and every time I get the same answer about how unreasonable CARB is, and how he expects to have certification "really soon." Well, I'm tired of waiting, hence this post to the listserv. For now, I'm stuck with a van that I will never be able to sell (at least not to anyone in California). If it weren't for the fact that I have the van registered in my mother's name (she lives in Washington), I long ago would have been up s--- creek.

Bottom line: I would advise anyone even remotely considering a Tiico engine conversion to avoid this company and its owner, Peter B., like the plague. They clearly do NOT stand by their product. I have resigned myself to having gotten screwed. I only hope that this cautionary tale will enable others to avoid suffering the same fate.