Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:08:44 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Problem

On 10/21/05 10:41 AM, "John Lauterbach" <lauterba@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> It is unlikely your starter is bad in my opinion. Problem may be poor > connection and old age of wiring in your van. Is use a Bosch WR-1 relay > that gives more power to starter solenoid in my '84.

Thanks, John. I'm aware of the hard start relay. However, I jumped the starter right from the battery terminal (12.5v), so in doing this aren't I bypassing the starter ignition wiring?

On 10/21/05 11:07 AM, "Tim Demarest" <tim.demarest@pobox.com> wrote:

> Are you working with an automatic or a manual tranny van?

Manual trans.

> If manual, did you replace the starter bushing (in the bellhousing, tip of > starter sits in it), and did you lube the new bushing?

I replaced the starter bushing. Lightly greased the starter shaft/gear, but not the bushing itself.

> Too much friction > here, or an egged-out bushing might give you problems.

Could there be anything else making it bind?

> If you did all that, and jumping the contacts right at the starter *still* > gives no start, it's possible you got a bad rebuilt starter (it happens, > all too often with FLAPS units). I'd say try again with a Bosch > remanufactured unit.

Yeah, I cheaped-out and my new starter is not a Bosch rebuilt. My mechanic supposedly has confidence in these, though. But, the Bosch is definitely better, eh?

On 10/21/05 11:19 AM, "Joseph Fortino" <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> I had a loose wire on my starter. works like a charm.. also clean connections

Have checked wires repeatedly, and contacts were cleaned prior to replacing the starter. Should be good. Again, jumping across the contacts will not spin the starter.

Thanks,

James V