Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:47:46 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Traveling/Camping With a Baby
Comments: To: dusty.edwards@MAC.COM

In a message dated 10/17/05 1:32:19 AM, dusty.edwards@MAC.COM writes:

<< my question is - would you plan on traveling/camping w/ a 4-month old baby? if so, please explain how you'd do it. >>

Dusty,

Babies. First you have to know why they are so cute -- if they weren't, you'd kill them. Seriously now, kids are quite durable things. You'll finally realize this about the time you see them run out and romp in a foot of snow wearing nothing but their skivvies.

Here are some tidbits of wisdom I picked up from my wife;

1/ The mother should nurse the baby. Not only is it better for the health and well-being of both the nurser and the nursed, but it is far more convenient and easier than dealing with the hassle of baby formula and bottles, especially when traveling. It's fast food ready to consume any time day or night. My one proviso is to not make a show of the nursing, it's an intimacy for the mother and baby to share in private. Although, it can be pulled off discretely almost anywhere, pulling that milk laden tit out in the gallery of a mall is not good form and it's not going to impress anyone except the perverts.

2/ The baby should sleep nestled between the parents which is great for camping. Not only can the weary and worn out mother nurse the baby while hardly being aroused from her much needed sleep, but I think it makes the baby feel safe and secure. Don't worry, you won't screw him up for the rest of his life, just control your natural urges until the baby is napping in the afternoon and your wife is standing at the stove stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce.

3/ Whenever babies are sleeping soundly, DON'T TOUCH THEM. It doesn't matter if YOU think their heads are at odd angles or YOU think they need a pillow or YOU think they are cold. If they are asleep, they are warm, secure and comfortable. I can't tell you how many times I pissed off my wife by trying to make a sleeping baby more comfortable in a car seat only to wake them up for the duration.

4/ Mix a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water then dampen a washcloth with it and put it in a ziplock baggie. It's much better for wiping down the rugrat and more easily packed than handi-wipes. Old habits die hard and to this day I carry a bottle of the alcohol/water solution and a washcloth in my glovebox which has proven to be useful many times.

5/ Buy a BabySac or whatever they are called. It looks like a miniature mummy bag with legs.

(not necessarily only while camping)

6/ Don't let the baby cry. Those who say letting them cry toughens them up are full of it. The baby is communicating a need in the only way he can.

7/ Don't try to put them on a schedule, they'll work out a schedule for YOU. Anyway, if you make them punch a time clock, they might ask for a raise.

While babies are immanently totable, durable and have a good heating system, I would think twice about exposing them to the high decibels of a music festival. I've seen infants wearing sound attenuating earmuffs at concerts, but, with no input from the babies, I have to wonder how these devices can be judged effective.

You are about to enter a new world where neither your desires nor your wife's matter for you are called to a greater mission. You and your wife will be drawn closer by the effort to nurture this blessing which will be yours for too short a time. I envy you.

George