Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:18:04 -0600
From:         dusty edwards <dusty.edwards@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Traveling/Camping With a Baby

thanks for all of your replies!! NOT breastfeeding isn't really an option - in fact, i've done much research on "the formula boom", and i

think that you'd be surprised at how the formula craze has died out since it hit in the 70's (???). it's just not very necessary since the

mother carries a free and wholesome food supply.

i guess what i was asking in my original email was how you slept w/ the

baby, but it sounds like most folks on here typically sleep w/ their baby in the same bed anyway. we've read and heard of how hard it is to

ween a child from your bed once this practice begins. it seems to be a

tough issue b/c the kid can (in theory) breastfeed while you sleep.......making it easier to get your needed rest. a bassinett beside the bed sounds like a nice option (not for camping, of course).

i guess that we'll see...

as far as the music festival part of it goes, remember that it IS an outdoor bluegrass festival not a black sabbath arena show. the music is fairly soothing and the crowd is fairly calm. earplugs or earmuffs

on babies is a very common practice these days at shows. we can sit towards the back and it probably wouldn't be much louder than what you'd experience listening to a church choir. music (and traveling to

see music) has played a very large role in our lives, and i think that

telluride bluegrass festival might be a nice compromise.

while we're really into conservation and even natural (unbleached) wet-wipes might be an option, a non-alcohol based recyclable home-made

soaked towel in a plastic bag definitely sounds like a good idea. we also have a local cloth diaper service, so i think that we'll be able to go the cloth diaper route as well.

simply, while we're ecstatic about the baby coming, the last thing that

we want is to be grounded (to the house) w/ the baby. realizing that

we're already starting to compromise and will continue to make huge compromises, setting goals such as camping in the westy and mostly tame

music venues is all that we can do. i guess that we'll have a better idea of whether or not we should go after the little bambino is here!

thanks again! dusty.