Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:11:51 -0400
From:         Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission shifting

Thanks all - I'm all for putting more time and money into the linkage - but before I do that, I wanted to perform a simple test - one that would tell me whether my problem was the transmission or the linkage: What do you all think of this test:

With the linkage un-hooked from the transmission, crawl under the bus, and manually shift the transmission into second. Start her up, and let off on the clutch. If it goes, I'm good - if not - or it pops out - I'm bad.

Mark

On 10/18/05, Greenamyer, William L <william.l.greenamyer@boeing.com> wrote: > > There is a bushing that holds the linkage. One thing that a lot of > people overlook is the play in this bushing. If it is worn, it can > cause all kinds of problems, especially going into first gear hard or > not at all. There should be no play in this bushing when trying to move > the linkage from side to side. If there is play, you need a new > bushing. > > William > > -----Original Message----- > From: Jim Felder [mailto:felder@KNOLOGY.NET] > Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 12:21 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: transmission shifting > > > Mark; > > I wasted dozens of hours over several months messing with the same > problem on my two vanagons--simultanously. While Don is right on the > money with what he's saying, it didn't work out that I was satisfied > with the results of what I was doing. I always stick with it, though, > and finally see it through, but this time was an exception. I felt I was > endangering my gearboxes so I took them both in to a good, local VW shop > where they have lots of experience, tools, helpers, lifts and what have > you that I don't have at home. > > It cost me about $55 per car, I think, as was some of the best money I > ever spent. > > Bottom line, if you get to the point you just can't crawl under there > one more time for the same result, don't pull the transmission for a > rebuild until you've let an experienced shop have it for an hour. > > Jim > On Oct 17, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Don Williams wrote: > > > Hi Mark, > > > > My experience is that linkage is enormously important and that it is > > usually the linkage, and wrong adjustment makes you think it is the > > transmission. At least you should work on that first since it only > > gets > > you dirty and angry and doesn't directly cost you money. The guides > > to > > the gears are on the upper part of the box that is accessed under the > > spare tire. You can adjust the shifter by a little allen screw on the > > > shift so > > that the shifting mechanism in that box is pushed up to be influenced > > by > > those guides. Then when you push down the shift to go into reverse, > > you > > are bypassing those guides. > > The next problem is often the rod that goes back to the tranny, and > > the > > compression ring that allows the lateral movement of the shifter to > > displace the vertical movement on the rod that goes into the tranny. > > You > > just have to play around with it (it is frustrating). Basically, a > > tiny > > adjustment on that ring influences whether or not a horizontal > > movement of > > the gear translate into engaging the gears properly. For my problem, > > my 85 > > Westy would not go into first gear, for love or money, unless i > pushed > > down the shifter and bypassed the guide in that box. I thought my > > tranny > > was screwed up, but after dinking with it for several hours, I could > > see > > that if I rotated the shaft in the correct direction, I could get the > > beast > > in first without depressing the shift because I had increased the > > distance > > that the shift rod tranveled without so that I did not need to depress > > the > > shifter to get enough distance to go into first gear. Does that make > > any > > sense whatsoever?? > > Call me if it still seems weird. (360-650-3641) > > Don > > > > > > > > From: Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM> > > Subject: Re: 1990 Westy - do 3 transmissions have same problem? I > > haven't dropped the shifter box yet. I've adjusted the shifter rod so > > tha= t > > the lower part of the stickshift is in the right place. It doesn't > > seem lik= > > e > > the stickshift hits anything in the box when in second gear. > > With the last transmission I had, I wanted to check to see whether it > > was > > the transmission, or the linkage. So I un-hooked the linkage, crawled > > under > > the bus, and manually shifted the transmission into second. I started > > her > > up, and let off on the clutch, and nothing happened - so I figured I > > had a > > bad transmission (all the other gears engaged). Is this the best way > to > > check whether the problem is the trans or the linkage? > > >