Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:01:48 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      LVCRe: VW SUCKS...Re: name change of Volks Cafe...
Comments: To: inua@CHARTER.NET

In a message dated 10/20/2005 4:10:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, inua@CHARTER.NET writes:

>>Could it be that the boys at Volkscafe caved to quickly?? Or should have >>gotten another lawyer?

I agree with John that the mightly giant should be taken down by the common man. I mean what's next, We're gonna have to pry the VW emblems off our busses?

I understand to a point VW going after those that use the VW emblem, because it's a trademark and they own it and the like. The other day in Huntington Beach I saw a kids T-shirt at a flea market for sale with a nice split window bus on it and where the VW symbol would be on the front of the bus there was a big black circle. I guess VW got to the vendor. Seems kind of dumb since the symbol is free advertising.

However, I don't know how ferociously other car companies protect their trademarks. But I'm guessing it's the same deal. I mean you can't sell "UCLA" T-shirts or "Yankees" hats without permi$$ion and I suppose most companies/universities/clothing stores etc. are the same about protecting their trademark.

Having said that, the demand not to use "VOLKS" seems a bit absurd to me. Especially if volks is a common term--unless of course volk is a term and "volks" is trademarked. Silly. And I agree that VW should be stopped from claiming folks as their domain if it's a common term. But then I mean I'm no expert on the German language-- I do know German history.

But here's the thing. In my experience is a lose-lose situation. As Americans I think we're doing it wrong. Because logic and what's right don't really prevail all that much anymore. And the thing about getting another lawyer is it starts to get really expensive and time consuming. And we have let it get to the point where whoever has more money wins. And VW has more money.

I realise I'm just pointing out the problem here and not really a part of the solution. But I don't know what the answer is--defining the problem seems a start. But I do know what's not the problem. It's not handing over more and more money to attorneys in our justice system which favors who ever has the deepest pockets.

Doing the right thing in our legal system is costly and, again, in my experience justice doesn't prevail. I read it in the papers and see it on the TV and I have had first hand experience. Suit winners never collect a dime, corporations bilk their stockholders and customers, people who get 25 years sentances are out of jail in 18 months. Corporate jobs get shipped to poor countries where labor is cheaper. Amercians can't get jobs and can't get health insurance, but mostly we can't get the truth and we can't get justice.

I agree with the sentiment to fight. And Yes, let's fight. But I don't think it's as easy as getting another lawyer. That was a way in the old Amercia. In the new America that idea is kind of blaming the victim. Because we're being bamboozaled. So this idea that someone is caving in by not suing a corporation, or giving in by not reporting a crime, or I dare say copping out by not voting, is really just what the Man wants us to think. That it's our fault and victims choose to be victims.

But I would argue when you're up against a giant giving in may not be the foolish choice. I think we need to change the adage and start to "Think locally and act globally" in a sense. Because again, the Man's reach is global and the Man loves when we only act locally.

Refusing to support companies that are unjust, boycotting and the like, may be the answer. But it's not all that easy is it. I need a car, I need fuel, I need clothes and I need a President, Governor, Mayor, what have you. It's complicated in my opinion. And while it's wrong, it's because we've all been subtly caving in for a long time.

We like to pretend we're civilised, but if we were car alarms, protective bars on windows, homelessness, poor medical insurance, and fat corporations shipping jobs to where they can more easily exploit workers and the like would outrage us. Instead we just give in like a frog slowly boiled. And we find ways to convince ourselves that if "they" fought harder, or if "they" worked harder, or if "they" placed a higher value on education they're problems would be solved. But as luck would have it they are us.

That's my two cents. And if it sounds like I'm giving up, I'm not. I'm planting the seeds of revolution. At this point only a philisophical revolution and really isn't much more dangerous than putting on a hat. But putting on a hat can be effective if we all put one on.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA