Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:05:18 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ps rack install tips?
Comments: To: kenwilfy@comcast.net

In a message dated 10/21/05 7:44:57 AM, kenwilfy@comcast.net writes:

<< However this is just so that I don't have problems on the way to get it aligned at a four wheel, computerized alignment shop. Typical price is around $60. Well worth the money when you think about the price of tires and the wear and tear on front end components. >>

Prices certainly vary from one place to the next; in my burg, I've spent $40 to $50 for a four wheel alignment. However, recently I've been using a facility with the latest state of the art alignment equipment which asks for whatever I want to give them in payment.

The rest of the story:

Last year, after searching for an answer to a persistent but variable wheel shimmy in one of my Volvo's, I concluded that since the wheels on a Volvo are indexed to the hubs the wheel balance had to be done with the wheels on the car. Leaving no stone unturned, I found that no one did that anymore.

Then I heard of a new Hunter machine which does a Road Force (trademarked, of course) balance which was supposed to simulate the action of the on-the-car balancing equipment. Hunter even has a directory of shops who have sprung for this marvelous and expensive piece of technology. Unfortunately, the only facility to have one under power within a hundred miles of me was a local vo-tech school. The shimmy was such a nuisance that I was ready to make an appointment and drive the 200 miles just to have my wheels balanced. Then, in a rare moment of lucidity, I thought of calling the school to see if they would do the job -- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After listening to my predicament, the lead shop teacher was most accommodating and told me to bring it in the next day. When I got there I found what has to be one of the cleanest and best equipped shops outside of the Nascar circuit. Everything was top of the line with a full compliment of the most recent, and barely used, equipment.

The instructor asked that since they were removing all four wheels anyway would I mind if they just put the car on the Hunter computerized alignment rack and also do an alignment. Mind? Hell no!

I have to admit that I was concerned about what the little urchins might do either out of ignorance or youthful enthusiasm, but after seeing how the instructors and senior students kept a tight rein on the neophytes, I had little to worry about. In fact, although somewhat slower, I would have to say that it was about the most thorough and careful job I had ever had in a shop. They did all the little things which most wrench slingers can't afford to take the time for. Such things as putting softeners between the alignment machine lift equipment and the suspension members; and tightening the wheel nuts in three cross-patterned steps with a (Snap-On, no less) torque wrench; and rotating a tire three times on the wheel until the ideal sweet spot for the Road Force balance was found. I was most impressed.

There was a sign above the standing desk in the shop area which read, "All work will be paid for at time of service," so whenever they finished I asked the instructor how much I owed. He said a ten buck donation to the pizza party fund would do. After he picked me up off the floor, I gave him two twenties and kissed him on the lips.

I was there a couple of weeks ago to have new tires mounted and I noticed a brand spanking new Hunter alignment set up, the old one couldn't have been more than five years old. The lead instructor told me that he likes to keep the shop current. Boy, I'll say! Now, how can you beat that kind of service? I think my next move is to find out what kind of beer the body shop instructor drinks. It shouldn't be too hard because I already found out he just started dating one of my wife's old friends. Stay tuned for my next essay -- How to Beat the High Cost of Total Restoration.

George