Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:16:11 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Power Steering Rack Rebuild

I need to do something the leaking power steering rack on my '88 GL.

What would you do? Replace or overhaul yourself.

I'm considering overhauling it myself - I'm pretty fair with mechanical things - but from past experience on my '85 GL, I know there is a threaded locking ring that must be removed. On the '85 GL removing that ring without the specific wrench made for the job, proved to be a nightmare. Succeeded in breaking the ring, and wound up having to take it to a machine shop and have it welded, then machined back into tolerance. What a PITA!!! Cost me 50 bucks, and I got a deal because I knew the machinist. But it worked. The rest wasn't that difficult.

But all that was along time ago way up north.. These days I have less time, fewer tools, etc. So, just wondering what the List suggests. I sorta would like to give it a go, but absolutely not unless I can get that proper wrench for the locking ring from someplace. I have done a lot of shadetree stuff, but I learned a long time ago that the right tool for the right job is the only way to go - even if it's a tool you make specifically for that job. Never use a knife for a scredriver or a screw driver for a chisel, etc.

What say you, Volks? (think VaG will get me for using the term?)

TIA

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver