Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:50:41 -0400
From:         "Warner, Jeffrey (Jeff) S (J6C)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Instrument Cluster Gremlins!

Thanks for the help. This was it exactly. I had some pins that were bent back and some corroded contacts. Everything is good now although my clock seems to be in and out and maybe a little slow. Thanks again.

Jeff

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:08:57 -0400 From: Mary Creasy <mkc1@LOCALNET.COM> Subject: Re: HELP! Instrument Cluster Gremlins!

We've had this happen on our '85 and it is most probably a loose connection. The advice about removing the fuse block and cleaning and tightening the ground port is important but equally as much to blame is the inst. cluster plug assy. The foil and the modular plug are usually not connecting. There are some who solder the foil contacts to build up the contact but I have found that just unfolding the foil from the protrusion and applying a layer of duct tape and replacing the foil gives it enough force but with some give to complete the short . It doesn't hurt to crimp the metal pins in the plug slightly to also ensure a tight connection. Good Luck however you decide. Dave '78 Westy '85 Westy '93 EVMV5sp. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Warner, Jeffrey (Jeff) S (J6C)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 11:15 AM Subject: HELP! Instrument Cluster Gremlins!

VOLKS! (I say with consternation.)

It Started last night on the way home. '86 Automatic with headlight relay kit installed two years ago. I'll try to describe the symptoms.

Engine running, lights off: Everything appears fine. Gauges all working, etc. Oil pressure light and buzzer go off every time after 2000 RPM with no regard for oil pressure reality.

Engine running, lights on: No dash lights, no tach, function of headlight dimmer switch indicator light is opposite of reality, dash lights dimmer affects the LED lights making the high beam indicator dimmer and turning on the oil pressure and coolant lights. Turning on the light switch kills the oil pressure warning and the water temp warning light flashes for a few seconds as if you'd just started the engine.

Engine not running, light switch on: Dash lights and their dimmer are working. Hard to know what everything else is doing.

Last night the oil pressure warning light and buzzer were not part of the symptoms when the lights were off. That was a new bonus symptom that started up after I left the gas station this morning. Needless to say it was the straw that made me take this camel back home and get the truck.

Meanwhile, the van just runs like a champ.

So what do you think resident gurus? Some kind of short? Suggestions for where to start?

Thanks.

Jeff Warner Galloway, OH '86 Wolfy Westy "Barry"