Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:41:33 -0400
From:         tabe johnson <xtabe@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1:  Check rods or just top end?
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@rcn.com>

Hi Larry,

Thank you for writing. Just doing the heads is certainly attractive because of the time savings.

The cylinders are already disturbed. They came out of the case as I was pulling the heads. They're still on the pistons though.

I didn't really want to get into this, but... I did have an oil pressure gauge attached to that engine which seemed to indicate everything was fine. Having now driven with a different engine I have become aware of how slowly the oil pressure drops with time as the oil heats. I am not certain that I allowed the old engine to heat enough before recording oil pressures.

To summarize: I never got any indication my oil pressure was a problem. My gauge numbers were good but I'm not sure I trust them.

tabe