Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:11:21 -0700
From:         Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help diagnose Cinco

Now that I'm back home with a full toolset...the plot thickens.

I hooked up a timing light and tried to crank it -- got a few flashes and the engine sputtered a bit, then no flashes. So it looks like my gas-station-parking lot conclusion that I "had spark" was wrong -- spark is, at best, intermittent, and may be nonexistent most of the time.

Fiddling with the distributor, i realize it's loose and I may have messed up the timing. I mechanically set it back to TDC according to Bently, but something doesn't look right. To get the timing set to TDC on #1, I have to basically put the distributor at one end of its range of motion. Suddenly a lot of things start making sense. Why does the (basically new) cap show a lot of burning & arcing, and why does the arcing on the rotor look like it's at the leading edge instead of in the middle? Why does it run so poorly at idle, but fine at higher rpms? I pull the distributor and realize that the PO (or some PO's mechanic) installed the distributor drive gear wrong! The slot is pointing at the distributor lock down stud, NOT at the stud about 30 degrees counter clockwise.

So my new theory is this: with the distributor gear mis-aligned, the only way to get the timing right was to have the distributor rotated to the end of it's travel. This, however means that the rotor is not actually lined up with the cap when the spark happens, requiring the spark to jump inside the cap, giving me erratic spark at idle. At higher RPMs the mechanical and vacuum advances kick in, and the rotor becomes aligned properly with the cap, resulting in better spark pathway.

This doesn't explain why the car suddenly died on the freeway. Perhaps the loose distributor timing slipped? Or maybe all the arcing inside the cap & rotor has killed the hall sensor and it's a interactive problem? In any case, now that I've got the distributor out I'm going to see if I can find a rebuilt one as this one looks like hell.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the help!