Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:53:02 -0700
Subject:      Re: [SyncroDoubleCabs] Converting Doka to Auto trans... Questions
              regarding late model floor vent/tunnel
Comments: To: SyncroDoubleCabs@yahoogroups.com

My experience is there is no difference on the floor vent between the DoKa and the regular van. The differences are there between gasoline and Diesel. The vent on your DoKa puts air to the rear seats right? Where the earlier one doesn't. The parts should fit, obviously with no air going to the back, but who needs extra heat in California right!? Having not spent too much time in automatics, I am unsure if the later ones are different.... a Vanagon bone yard would tell you that.

The VR6 should work well with the automatic - you should look into getting one of those rare Audi 4000 four speed automatics - the Vanagon differential housing swap over the the 010 based Audi housing.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

Internet: www.fastforward.ca Email: sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775

- Vanagon Engine Conversions and Accessories - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - Electrical harness fabrication and customization

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

-----Original Message----- From: SyncroDoubleCabs@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SyncroDoubleCabs@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of BenT Syncro Sent: October 26, 2005 9:21 AM To: Vanagon Mailing List; syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com Subject: [SyncroDoubleCabs] Converting Doka to Auto trans... Questions regarding late model floor vent/tunnel

Hello Folks,

I am starting a conversion project on my 1988 Canadian spec Doublecab. Have already added powersteering -- love it. Now I am looking to convert from 4-speed to automatic transmission for City driving convenience. This Doka is equipped with rubber matts rather than carpets.

My question has to do with the center floor vent. This is that plastic housing which goes between the front seats and vents rearward. I assume this is the same for the buses as well. This vent housing is the same as the on I have on my 1989 Syncro 16 Doublecab. Up until that point, I thought that "taller" vent was only used on diesel vans and trucks. Guess not since this is a 2.1 powered truck. The trouble I am having with this is I am planning on using a shift console from an earlier van which bolts to a flat floor vent. The vent in my Doka rises at an angle towards the front.

Is there a special shift console for these later model housings? Or am I stuck going to the earlier style floor vents if I convert to auto trans?

Any opinions on compatibility of the VR6 to the auto trans?

Sorry for the Vanagon content.

=)

-- BenT