Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:34:45 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Sometimes Doesn't
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John, I'm sure you've seen posts about the "hot start relay kit" as a remedy for this problem. If you have the usual "syndrome" the starter can be encouraged to crank by hitting it with a hammer (or a broomstick inserted above the rear wheel) while someone holds the key in the start position. The strange thing about yours is that it happens when cold; usually the problem occurs when the engine is very warm.

I would start by checking the voltage at the push-on terminal on the solenoid when the key is in the start position and the starter is refusing to go. If this voltage is substantial (7 or 8 V maybe), but not what you would hope for, the relay is probably the solution. If it is only a volt or two, the contacts in the ignition switch are the main problem. If you have an automatic, you should also check the switch near the shift lever.

It should be noted that since the ground path for the solenoid is thru the main starter circuit, if the brushes and commutator are bad enough, the relay will not provide a cure and a starter rebuild is in order.

Larry A. relays installed on one bay and 3 vanagons