Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:54:26 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oh Boy! Tire Thread!  (was RE: Michelin LTX/MS 215/75R15
              tires...)

I've been running some tires on my Westy Syncro (with the SVX...aka heavy engine). The tires (Bridgestone's) have a maximum inflation pressure of 44 psi. My observations

44 psi is too much for the front. It makes for a harsh ride over normal road bumps and transitions. 44 psi is okay in the rear....if you aren't heavily loaded. If heavily loaded, it feels mushy and makes me wary.

Please note that I've been running EXTREMELY heavy loads on the tail end of my Westy. This is probably on the order of 6-700 pounds on the trailer hitch, along with a lot of stuff up top (and overhanging the rear), along with the SVX engine.

I'd strongly suggest no one else be this idiotic. I've gotten away with it, but won't run tires at that low a pressure if I try to do that again.