Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:30:41 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oh Boy! Tire Thread! (was RE: Michelin LTX/MS 215/75R15
              tires...)

> Now, with the current thread lauding the 215/75R15 LTX, at a diameter of > 27.7, I took another look at the HydroEdge spec sheet: Michelin offers the > > HydroEdge as a 215/65R16 rated 98T with a max load rating of 1653@44...at > a > diameter of only 26.8. > > Now...the $64 question: will this tire measure up?

Thing about tires is that it's not a simple yes/no thing. It's fairly easy to (for example) say why a 1.5mm copper wire should always be fused at 16 amps or less because electrical stuff generally has maybe three significant variables and behavior is highly predictable. Tires, though, are always a bit of a wild card. Often designers have to choose a mid point between two or more mutually exclusive ideals. For example, a solid hard rubber tire will never have catastrophic deflation failure, but at the cost of pretty much all handling and controlability above 10mph. A soft slick tire will stick to the road like glue, but might go to pieces the first time you drive over a 2x4 on the freeway. Tires ALWAYS embody some sort of compromise. Given that, the best anyone can do is optimize for safety under expected conditions. The guidelines offered by tire or car manufacturers or the DOT/NHTSA are premised upon some chosen degree of safety under maximum rated load and in the worst conditions. Common sense: it'd be astoundingly naive to give ratings assuming all vehicles are loaded to 80% capacity or less and never drive over uneven roads on a 110 degree day, right? That said, you should be able to "fudge" the ratings somewhat based upon the particular conditions you expect. Static weight is usually the variable of primary concern, but various dynamic varibles can affect things too. It's probably safe to say that an EMPTY van on tires that are only 20lbs below recommended capacity is OK, just as it's probably safe to throw a 10lb box of drywall screws into a van that's exactly at capacity already. But what about tires rated 40lbs under spec? or 80lbs? Even if you're within weight, at some point an under rated tire will (for example) probably not be hefty enough take the sidewall flex, which is undoubtedly one of the considerations the manufacturer had in choosing the recommended tire specs. But then again, if you're on 16x7.5 rims, for which your "silver sticker" has no tire recommendation, what specs do you use? It's hard to say, really. Heck, four thrown truck treads held on with packing tape is perfectly adequate if all you're doing is rolling forward eight feet in the garage; and even OVER rated tires on stock 14" rims won't hold if you go "drifting" down a mountain road at 70mph. All anyone has to go on is the ratings. The ratings are obviously going to be conservative, but there's no real way to know HOW conservative. Lucas at GoWesty is confident that the HydroEdge tires he sells are well within the "engineering hedge", and as a licensed professional mechanical engineer I'd have to value his opinion to some dgree. The fact that there have been no reported failures over many hundreds of thousands of miles certainly lends weight to Lucas' assertion that abstract rating calculation is no substitute for real world testing. The question you gotta ask yourself is whether you think this leaves enough margin for your comfort. There's no way to know unless you test the tires to the point of failure, and no one has done that. What it comes down to is a judgement call. I have the GoWesty 16" wheels with Hydroedge tires on a NON-Westy that never gets more load than a couple hundred pounds plus 2 people and, with an automatic transmission and stock 2.1 wasserboxer, it rarely sees the high side of 65mph. I'm confident that they'll be fine. If I had a Westy or carried more weight, I'm not sure I'd be as comfortable.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "We'd tell a monkey how to peel a banana, if he said he was peeling one in a Vanagon."