Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:44:05 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oh Boy! Tire Thread! (was RE: Michelin LTX/MS 215/75R15
              tires...)

"A soft slick tire will stick to the road like glue, but might go to pieces the first time you drive over a 2x4 on the freeway."

When I first got the 16" wheel/tire set up I now have, I had the Michelin X-One's on. They were 225/60-16. Coming down into Durango in the rain, down a steep grade, I hit some rocks on the road that had migrated off the cliffs above. That "blistered" the sidewalls on both right tires. I believe the lack of "C" rating, low profile combined to make that happen so I switched to another Michelin (LTX M/S) in 225/70-16 and now have the Hakka's in 215/65-16 C's. I think a marginal sidewall height is "safe" with the proper rating but time will tell. No way to know what would have happened on that rainy road with "C" rated tires, but I'm guessing that vulnerability (P+60 sidewall), in those conditions was the culprit. Lucky they didn't blow and only blistered. By the way, they lasted fine from Durango back to Salt Lake! I think Michelin makes good tires. I'm selling these LTX's (5) locally and have 20K on them and left on my van, would likely get me another 30K. Very long-wearing tire.

Bob Stevens '87 Westy Syncro "Passion Fruit"