Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:22:40 -0400
From:         Erik Walker <blackbear@NHVT.NET>
Subject:      88 GLstarts, stalls immediately

First off - thank you so much to all of you who have posted over the years. I've been searching the archives since I found the list a few months back, and I can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciate the various insights. I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to cars . . . but I'm trying to work my way up the learning curve.

My problem (one of 'em, anyways) is that my 88 GL (215k) starts up and immediately stalls. Every time. The tach flutters, surges, then dies. The oil light stays on throughout the 3 second process that it takes for the engine to quit. It had been running extremely rich prior to all this. Now it won't stay running at all. No way, no how.

Things I've done: new cap, rotor, plugs, air filter; new Temp II sensor; new ground strap on left side of engine (old one has been broken for a long time); cleaned idle stabilizer; reconnected send/return lines to charcoal filter - one had been disconnected since I bought the van 2 years ago, but I didn't know anything about it. Replaced ignition switch a month ago. New battery. Brand new oil: 10W-30 with WIX filter (thinking it's too cold up here for 20W-50). Fuel pump seems to be working as it hums when the key is turned in the ignition. Took Digifant out, cleaned all internal contacts with alcohol. Cleaned all ground wires that I could find.

Also, the van has an empty catalytic converter and has been running without O2 sensor for a few weeks. The rich combustion was present prior to this, and connecting or disconnecting the O2 seems to have no effect.

Could it be the oil pump? I don't want to keep replacing stuff at whim, but I do love this van and I am hoping against hope that it will one day drive on down the road with me smiling behind the wheel.

Erik blackbear@nhvt.net