Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:12:51 -0700
From:         Stephen DeMocko <SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM>
Subject:      FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF GO-WESTY'S 2.2

Sorry, this letter is a little outdated I wrote this letter two weeks ago but for some reason I got kicked off the list, and was only reinstated this morning. I have more to add in the saga so more is on the way. Volks, I thought some of you might be interested in my latest experiences with Luci my '85 Westy. A few months back I started showing signs of low oil pressure on my original engine, 161,000. I confirmed this with an oil pressure gage. I knew when purchasing the car a little over a year ago this day would come, I had hoped later rather than sooner. My first thought for replacement engines was the Subaru conversion. I do have the tech ability to tackle a project like that but a few things brought me looking at the Go Westy 2.2 replacement for my 1.9. The Sub engine might have been chosen if it had been under my terms and I had time to prepare by collecting parts and studying the process. The easy of bolting in an original block was attractive. I also believe in the direction Lucas has taken with his engine rebuilds. I am also a grad of Cal Poly with an ME like Lucas so I am biased. It's hard to argue with a four year 40K warranty. I also think, and many of you out there may disagree with me on this last point, I think it will be harder for resale in the future with a non VW engine. Maybe not to a list member, but to the general public. So I place my order for the 2.2 on Sept.13. It was difficult spending that kind of money, but every one I spoke with over at Go Westy put my concerns at ease. I have never had anything but the most helpful, positive experiences dealing with any of the Vanagon specific mail order sites out there, and that goes for Go Westy as well. When ever I had a question about anything having to do with home repairs of my van the customer service guys and Go Westy had no problem spending time listening to my problems and then giving advice. Anyway I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks build time. I was caught off guard when the engine showed up ahead of schedule on Oct 10 just short of four weeks. I think that was pretty impressive. My first impression of the engine was good. I didn't know that new heads could shine so much. Go west also did a good job of cleaning up and refinishing the valve covers intake runners and intake plenum. I would have given them and excellent rating had the parts been stripped or blasted prior to repainting. The only thing about the engine that I think is a shame is the exterior surface of the block. It's just, visibly lacking next to those beautiful new heads. I wish I had offered to pay extra to try and talk Go-Westy into preparing the block's exterior and throwing some paint on it. I know there are probably good reasons not to do that, like better cooling ability with a bare block but... It would have also been nice to have bran-spanking-new pushrod tubes (no dents) but, I guess it doesn't really matter, it's just going to get dirty, and anyway all that really matters is how the engine performs. Did I mention that the new heads look great? Working on pulling the old engine was done an hour or so after work for a few evenings. Nothing to tough just draining, disconnection, and labeling. Just a note to others Bentley doesn't really discuss removal of components related to the air or power steering, so look for additional items still attached. I had also thought that disconnecting and then later lining up the three bolts for the torque converter was going to be a bear but it wasn't. I also highly recommend the use of a cherry picker and one off those tilting devises to change the engine angle for removal and reinstallation. I have a few tips for reinstall. Put a mark on the torque converter at the location off the threaded holes. Make sure the mark is in a location as to be visible from the opening in the final drive casing when everything is in the lowered position. It helped put the bolts back in. Bentley also makes you paranoid about making sure the torque converter is fully seated on the one-way clutch before the engine is bolted on. It also says the converter will spin freely when correctly seated. I wasn't sure if it should only spin freely one direction or what, but I found that even with the engine bolted on the converter spins freely and in both directions. Don't forget to transfer the coolant block off plate on the front of the driver's side head. I also had to transfer over the threaded nipple the oil filter threads onto. All that's left is coolant plumbing, electrical, and exhaust. I should have my van back this weekend. Be sure that I will keep the list posted on how the engine performs. Stephen DeMocko ('85 Westy Luci)