Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:38:39 -0400
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Baja Suggestions? - Hot springs!

There's a great hot springs place just south of Mexicali that is quite remote. We made it in a 72 bus, so a Syncro should be no problem. Check out our trip info at: http://www.pauldottrip.com/guadalupe/index.htm

You may want to book ahead if you go on a weekend...and bring warm clothes for the evening. The desert gets quite cold at night. http://www.guadalupe-canyon.com

After the hot springs, take the dirt road south of San Felipe but go off the main track, about 50-100 metres off the main track is a "dune buggy" trail most of the way....it's way more fun than the main road.

Make sure you stop at CoCo's corner, he'll sell you a cold beer and you can sign his guest book. If you look in his book around Jan 8, 2003 you'll see a drawing of the bus we had at the time. http://www.pauldottrip.com/baja_mexico/pages/DSCN0602.htm

After CoCo's corner you can get back to the main highway, then go to Bahia de Los Angeles for some nice beach camping. Hopefully the road is paved smoothly all the way now...back in 2003 it was paved washboard for the last 20k or so... http://www.pauldottrip.com/baja_mexico/pages/DSCN0605.htm

Another fun "off road" section is the coast east of Cabo San Lucas/San Jose Del Cabo. http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/loscabosmap.htm http://www.pauldottrip.com/baja_mexico/pages/DSCN0633.htm

Make sure you gas up whenever you can, gas can be hard to find in some parts of Baja.

When going to/from Baja, you can cross the border inland near Tecate and avoid the Tijuana crazyness. Camp at Potrero County Park on the US side. After primitive camping in Baja it was really nice to have a hot shower in a clean, well maintained place. http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/camping/potrero_map.html