Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:04:33 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Cruise Control Troubleshooting 101

I had a customer come in with a 90 Vanagon with inoperable cruise control. It had not worked for several years and the guy wanted it to work again. At some point even the actuator back on the motor had been removed. So I had to start at ground zero but I found out some very interesting tips that I think will help most people who are actually trying to get their factory cruise back on line.

First- Go to the Bentley. The Bentley manual actually has an awesome step by step troubleshooting chart for the cruise control system. I wish they had as great of a write up on every system in the vans. You will find it on page 27.28. These tests will cover all of the eletrical problems you can have with your cruise control. The only problem I had with these test was the final step where they get you to check your speed sensor in the back of the speedometer. The book gives you a good value range of something between 90 and 110 ohms. My sensor tested 1088 ohms. I was curious so I tested the sensor in my 90 Carat Vanagon and it had a similarly "high" reading. But the difference was that I knew that this cruise control worked perfectly so I know the sensor is good. I don't know if it is a misprint in the Bentley or what.

After you check all of the electrical stuff and it tests good, check the vacuum of the system. You can buy a small vacuum tester for $10 at Advance Auto or similar. Unplug the hose from the small cruise vacuum pump in the rear of the van (right above the power steering reservoir). Try to pull a vacuum on the system. If it will not allow you to do so, go directly to the pedal switches. You have to remove the lower steering column cover and you will see one of them if you have an automatic or two if you have a manual. Unplug the hose to the switch and hook your vacuum tester directly to the switch. Now try to pull a vacuum on the switch. If it will not pull a vacuum and hold it then try to adjust the switch. You can screw them in farther to make them seal properly if they will not seal. If they still won't seal then the switch is bad, replace it.

If the switches test good then you have to narrow down where the vacuum leak is. You can go to the back. There is a "T" where one side goes to the front and the other goes to the vacuum actuator. Unhook the two lines from the "T" and test them one at a time and you will see if the leak is from the actuator, or if it is in the line going to the front.

That is basically it. You should be able to find your problem somewhere in there. Most of the ones I see are basically just the pedal switch out of adjustment so that it is not sealing. But going through troubleshooting chart is a good way to go if you are stumped. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242