Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Oct 2005 02:12:35 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: REQ - Dead Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Donation
Comments: To: Inua <inua@charter.net>

> I've a couple of sharp electronics buds here, and with them, I want to > pursue development of a digital replacement for that little box that > causes so much trouble. Actually, I will probably be more like a > sidewalk superintendent than a pioneering engineer. My buds will pursue > this with my direction and encouragement. >

I took one apart and made a partial rough schematic with the intention of doing the same thing. Thing is, it's a really tense array of op-amps, capacitors, and resistors-- a wacky analog computer doing a job better done digitally. My conclusion is that emulating that crazy thing at the component level is doing it the hard way. The best way to approach it is to treat it like a "black box": monitor its outputs while twiddling its inputs to see what it does. Heck, you can even figure most of that out from reading the Bentley. Really, a 25 cent PIC microcontroller could easily do what those hand-tuned analog crazy boxes do, and do it much simpler. Controlling the idle is a simple matter of watching the RPMs and opening the ICV when RPM is too low, and closing it when it's too high. The advantage digital microcontrollers have is that they can 1) count, and 2) tell time. That analog circuit trying to measure RPM without either of those capabilities is a masterpiece of "old skool" engineering, but totally yesterday's news. Abandon ye the old way and start from scratch. All it does besides monitor RPM is watch a couple switches on the AC and power steering to push the idle RPM up a notch when needed. I've been meaning to build such a thing for months, but I've had a "minor" complete engine-transmission-hoses replacement to take care of. Another 500 miles and the engine will be broken in and I might be able to start work on that again.

Anyway, I have a couple broken ones I got from Frank Condelli for $10 postage. I'll send you the one I didn't disassemble for $5 postage, if you like..

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "We'd tell a monkey how to peel a banana, if he said he was peeling one in a Vanagon."