Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:25:25 -0500
From:         Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@MAIL.CRCN.NET>
Subject:      Re: whistling vent window fix?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:12:04 -0400, Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM> wrote:

>Hi all, > >The vent window in the driver's door of my '80 has whistled annoyingly >when speed passes 30 mph since I got it. I've tried cleaning the rubber >and glass several times to get it to seal better. I've been unable to >see any gaps or openings that might turn into a whistle at higher speed. > >Any fixes on record for this short of replacing seals or glass?

Hi Wil,

As a previous post alluded, adjusting the lower pivot can sometimes stop the whistling. This "adjustment", at least on an '87 is a phillips-head machine screw at the lower pivot-bearing. From my memory, you may be able to reach this screw, with the inside door panel removed but it will be tight to get in there and adjust... especially if the pivot is corroded.

Short of removing the whole rubber-seal and associated metal-frame inside this seal, you might try the following: Look at how the wing-window "sits" in the frame? If the whistle comes from one particular part of the window, adjust the window (by gently bending the window in the frame while open) to even-out the contact the window makes with the frame and seal. Another quick fix is to adjust the upper pivot of the wing-window. Use padded jaws on your pliers and bend the upper pivot... tweaking the window in the frame. Fail this, wear earplugs until a complete repair can be attempted!

Good luck.... Phil Z.