Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:56:34 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re:      Re:              Re:       Eight Function D
              igital Display for the Vanagon
Comments: To: John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>

With the WBXers and VW air cooled engines it is best to have additional instrumentation. I remember the first time I blew an engine in my 83 Air Cooled Westy. The Westy just had idiot lights and I saw the impending doom coming when I saw spots of oil on my rear window. I'm sure the guy in that big Dodge truck tail gating me got his share of oil too. I had no instrument or lights warning me about the problem. I blew the #2 ring on #3 cylinder but managed to drive back home at 35 mph on service roads for 250 miles by stopping every 35 miles and adding a quart of oil to the crankcase. If I hadn't seen that oil on the back glass I'd have had a total lock up rod throwing scenario that would have crippled my Westy and may have ruined the crank case when it blew. I installed instruments with the new rebuild job at 145K. I installed an oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge, cylinder head temperature, an additional oil cooler, windage tray and ran the Westy up to 287K miles before I sold it. I had no more engine malfunctions for that 133K and that involved many 3000 mile trips over long weekends. In fact I was quite pleased with the overall dependability and economy of the Westy, although I continued to spend money on tires, brakes etc. etc. .... You know how it goes.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Reddick" <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 8:30 PM Subject: Re: Re: Eight Function Digital Display for the Vanagon