Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:19:05 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      GVWR of various years?

This talk of weight ratings got me looking at my door jamb stickers:

My '82 Westy has a GVWR of 2400kg (5291lbs) My '88 Westy has a GVWR of 2340kg (5159lbs)

Just wondering why the lowered rating for '88? Both GAWR values are the same - 1300kg rear / 1200kg front.

For some reason I had been thinking all these years that my GVWR was around 5600lbs, not 5100-5200! This means I've been well over it many times - a typical loaded trip for us is 5200 to 5600 lbs depending on extras.

Next time I head over the scales, I'm going to weigh the front & rear with the van empty. I was surprised the when I took the '88 over with myself in front, 2 kids in the rear, van empty, and the front axle weight was about 60kg more than the rear, even with the heavier TD engine in back... Shawn Wright http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright '85 Jetta D '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed (see progress at http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels) '82 Diesel Westy