Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:49:16 -0800
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speaking of Cruise Control...
Comments: To: Mark Magee <markbmagee@EARTHLINK.NET>

On 10/31/05 2:25 PM, "Mark Magee" <markbmagee@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> Mine quit on my 90 Carat recently. I would rather go aftermarket that trace > down the issue, but I worry about how the aftermarket will mount in the > steering column. How does the unit you used fit on the steering > column/stalk.

Couldn't you wire up the cruise your to your existing stalk? There should only be a few wires to figure out.

An aftermarket stalk-type switch typically mounts to the steering column shroud. The problem I found with mine (Rostra / AudioVox), and I assume most other universal switches, is that the stalk is a bit short for the large Vanagon steering wheel. So, while holding the wheel, it's a bit of stretch to use the same hand to activate the cruise. Not a big deal, but not as ergonomic as the factory position. An extensions could be fabricated to push the stalk outward.

The other minor gripe is that the Vanagon steering column is flimsy, so a switch mounted to it doesn't feel totally solid. Again, no big deal.

Here's my install on my Westy. (the stalk is mounted upside down because it's a left-handed switch and, for various reasons, I preferred it on the right):

http://three91.com/vanagon/lis/cruisecontrol/IMG_1482.JPG http://three91.com/vanagon/lis/cruisecontrol/IMG_1483.JPG http://three91.com/vanagon/lis/cruisecontrol/IMG_1484.JPG

Rostra/Audiovox has another more modern looking switch without the hokey flexy rubber sleeve, but the positioning is not fully adjustable and it switches off (out of "ready" mode) when the iginition is turned off and must be turned back to "on" each time before using. Whereas the switch I opted for can remain in the "ready" position and operates similarly to the stock Vanagon cruise (what I'm used to). And I kinda like hokey flexy anyway.

Alternatively, there are also the surface-mounted rocker type control switches that you can mount to the dash or other flat surface.

James V