Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:27:49 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing insulation adhesive
Comments: To: jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@nd.edu>

The Termwell duct insulation?

On 11/1/05, jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@nd.edu> wrote: > Chris, > > The stuff I am using is basically bubble wrap wrapped in foil. Go to > homedepot.com and type "insulation" into the search box. It is the first > product that comes up. I don't know if this is the best stuff for this > application, but I really don't want to use stuff that holds water. Can > anybody weigh in on this? > > Thanks, > Jake > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of > Christopher Gronski > Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:48 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: removing insulation adhesive > > Jake I'm at the same pointg in a similar project with my 86 westy > (though I am not facing the adhesive issue... my insulation appears to > have just been placed inside. What "non water vapor" insulation are > you using? > > Chris > > On 11/1/05, jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@nd.edu> wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I have removed the cabinets, refrigerator, etc from the interior of my AC > 82 > > Westy. This whole project started because I had a major mouse invasion > > complete with a cozy little nest built in the wall. Once I got everything > > cleaned up I just couldn't put it back together without hitting the rust > > with POR15, adding sound deadening material, and re-insulating with > material > > that would not hold water vapor. > > I have removed the original insulation and am prepping the sheet metal to > > receive the sound deadening material. I am using some IceWatch stuff we > > talked about a couple of months ago. Anyway, I am finding that the > adhesive > > that was used to hold the original insulation in place is very stubborn. > I > > would like to get all of this off the sheet metal so the sound deadening > > material has a clean surface to adhere to. Have any of you found a good > > solvent for removing that junk? > > > > Thanks, > > Jake > > >