Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2005 07:45:04 -0800
From:         Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help diagnose Cinco
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Thanks Roger,

The problem is that I've already pulled the distributor, AND the drive gear, so I can't trust the drive gear position any more.

Here is what I did: remove the valve cover on the right head. Watch the rocker arms for cylinder #1 (the one at the front of the car on the right head). Turn the engine over by hand, watching the two rocker arms move. I notice that when the TDC mark on the pulley is lined up with the case, you either see one of two situations: (A) the intake valve (2nd from front) is opening and the exhaust valve (frontmost) is closing. (B) both valves are closed. In my mind, (A) should be the TDC position, right? It's entirely possible i'm committing a massive brain fart here.

Am I right in assuming that on a 4-stroke engine like this, the TDC mark on the pulley turns at the speed of the crankshaft, so there are only two possibiilties (either correct, or 180 degrees off)?