Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:31:02 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Pump Squeal

In a message dated 11/3/05 10:24:54 PM, crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET writes:

<< If you just want to see if its slipping, hold a folded piece of 150 grit sandpaper against it while it is running. This will dress the belt in situ, removing the glaze. Do both friction surfaces, and be VERY careful. >>

I'd probably go with 80 grit for this, the 150 will gum up too readily. And I have to say that "be VERY careful" is an understatement.

The good Lord watches over fools and idiots.

Many years ago I came home from school and immediately paid a visit to my beautiful sister. Whenever I landed at her place I found her surrounded by a mountain of laundry, a broken washing machine and three squealing urchins. The hero that I am, I sprung into action and told her I would fix the machine. Applying what I had just learned, I determined that the motor was stalled and unable to reach synchronous speed, in other words, the motor wasn't turning. Since I didn't want to dirty my freshly starched khaki's, I reached blindly into the cavity on the bottom of the washing machine, grabbed the drive belt and tugged it. The motor took off so fast that it dragged my finger into the pulley before I knew what was happening. No, I didn't lose the tip of my finger, but I did get the blood blister from hell, all of an inch long and half an inch wide. I also learned a valuable lesson.

George