Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:14:36 -0800
From:         Jim Quan <full360@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Film of oil all over back hatch
Comments: To: BA <ande@san.rr.com>

I believe I was the initiator of the thread that discussed this in August. On a trip over to Santa Cruz, CA we noticed once we returned home a film of oil, actually it was many little beads of oil all over the rear hatch.

Taking the collective advice of this list I did two things that have since solved the problem:

I. Changed the oil cooler o-ring.

2. Never fill the engine with more than 4 quarts of oil when the oil is changed.

Several road trips later and this has not happened again.

Hope this helps.

Jim 1991 Syncro Westy

On 11/6/05, BA <ande@san.rr.com> wrote: > Hi, all, > > This was discussed once (as far as I could find) in the archive, last > August. The sole response to the described problem was "look under > the engine ... if it's sufficient to put an oily film on your back > hatch, the cause will be obvious". > > Except ... it's not obvious! Not to us, nor to the VW repair shop > where we take our Vanagon. And the repair shop has so far not steered > us wrong. (Our shop-supplied engine has not yet done 10,000 miles. And > it isn't a re-conditioned engine ... it's a new VW engine.) > > The best suggestion the repair shop could offer was that we'd been on > newly-oiled roads. That just doesn't fit. > > So I wonder ... has anyone else had this happen, and if so what were > the suggestions and (hopefully) fix for the problem? > > > Just to make the question more interesting, we're off to San Felipe, > Baja Norte, Mexico, next weekend - filmy hatch or not!!! I (the more > adventure-conservative of us two) have decided that if I'm in an older > vehicle that needs attention, I'd rather have that happen in Baja than > in the US. Those folx know how to cherish good, old vehicles! > > > B&S > '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' > SoCal >