Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:15:46 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Axle flange sloppiness

Well, I have been that neck of the vanagon once. Those drive flanges are attached with standard circlips,like the CV joints have.Same ones ,I think. Behind the flange is a plastic device that locks in the tightness of the bearings. This device looks like sheet metal, but is flimsy plastic.It is attached with 2 phillips head screws. This removes easily,but gotta remember the position that it was attached.May need an impact screw driver to remove these screws. The 2 screws have slots for motion instead of 2 simple holes Behind this, is the grease seal that keeps the oil in the tranny.If your tranny is low on oil this seal may be the villan. Wet drive axels joints may be mistaken for cv joint grease leaking from the boot,when it is really the trans oil. This seal is easily pulled with a seal puller.If your tranny is high mileage , and does not leak oil, perhaps the PO replaced these seals.California import parts sell these seals. In the process of seal changing, the bearing tightness may have been accidently changed. Easy to do.Just slide the plastic device via those slots to the wrong position.The correct position could have been ignored.The adjustment range is limited with this plastic device,, and I do not know if this is enough range to make that slop that you describe. I think the Bentley has a difficult,and exjpensive way to measure the tightness ,at this location I described.The Bentley has the process needed too assemble this unit.Each side of the differential needs its own adjustment I believe, and man ,I would not want to try to do this from scratch. Check the book here. Also the circlip may be to blame.Bentley says to change them along with the seals each time.A loose circlip can cause the drive flage to come off with the CV axel attached. Look out! Better check the circlip integrety.Maybe the play is coming from there. Get out your circlip plyers.If the slop is real, I would for go the expensive measurement device (trans axel removed from vehicle ?),somehow.If this trans has been tampered with is its past , I would think a small , by eyeball, turning of the metal bearing adjuster will remove the slop, it the plastic device is installed as origional. If you remember your starting point, you can always back off the adjuster,or tighten it.May have to imrobvise a tool to tdo this, and the jproper tool seems to be about a 12 or 20 point star wrench of about 3 inch diameter If the slack is taken up like you want, you will be able to see this without driving the vanagon , or doing alot of other reassembelly work.(disclamer- no one else touched this post , so I gave you my opinion-good luck)Name with held by special request.