Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:24:51 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Tank Liner

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:30:15 EST From: George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM> Subject: Re: Tank Liner

In a message dated 11/3/05 4:03:05 PM, felder@KNOLOGY.NET writes:

<< Wouldn't an epoxy coating like Kreem work as well on the outside of the tank as inside it, if properly applied? >>

Yes, it would be just as useless.

George

Using Kreem on the outside of a tank would indeed be next to useless as the coating would fail quite quickly however it can be a useful product in repairing the inside of fuel tanks that have pin holes of rust etc in them...although to do a 56 litre T3 tank would take probably 3 kits of the Kreem at some expense.

I have used Kreem very successfully on the restoration a 20L fuel tank from a railway track vehicle and vintage motorcycle boys seem to often use it on their tanks but the problem with doing something larger like the T3 tank would be more problematic. To effectively coat the inside of the tank (after using the phosphoric acid to remove every ounce of surface rust and drying the tank completely in a very short space of time to prohibit new rust forming) you have patiently keep turning the tank over and over through every possible orientation to ensure the kreem has coated every bit of every surface before it dries.

For small tanks not easily replaced like the one I used it on it is good stuff....for a Volkswagen tank which is available new fairly easily, I would just buy a new one if it were me....

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover 109 Series 3 Soft top ute (ex-Aust army)