Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:55:42 -0800
From:         Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help diagnose Cinco

Ok, this just keeps getting weirder.

While replacing the distributor, I noticed that the previous owner had installed it "wrong" : When the crankshaft was at TDC for cylinder #1, the distributor drive shaft was pointing at the wrong stud (about 45 degrees clockwise of where it should be pointing as per Bently). Indeed, I noticed that compared to other vanagons, my distributor seemed to be pointed much further clockwise than usual and near the limit of its travel (i.e. the vacuum advance pointing mostly to the right, rather than towards the front of the van). Also, I noticed the cap was very burnt, and the rotor was burnt exclusively on the trailing end, as if the spark were jumping to reach the electrode).

I've replaced the Hall Generator, Coil, and Distributor. Hooking the timing light to the wire from the coil to the distributor, I get indication of spark when cranking. However, hooking the timing light to any of the spark plug wires I get no flashing, as if the Rotor was not lining up with the electrode in the cap.

So now I'm really confused. I see several possible explanations:

1. I put the distributor in wrong -- I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I followed Bently exactly.

2. Although I have spark, it's so weak that it's not making it past the distributor, even though everything is ok (given that i replaced the coil, Hall sender, and distributor, I see this as very unlikely.).

3. My timing light is bad.

4. The previous owner had installed the distributor wrong ON PURPOSE, because the engine is put together wrong??? Is it possible to somehow get the flywheel out of sync with the camshafts, so that TDC for the cylinder is not TDC for the camshaft? Note that this engine has always had a really crappy idle (i had one mechanic listen to it and say "sounds like burnt valves?") but runs better at higher RPMS. I believe the history on this engine is that one head has been replaced.

Please provide speculation as to what's wrong here. No theory is too outlandish.