Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:27:00 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 1.9WB exhaust parts overheating (a bit long)
Comments: To: Mike <mike-vanagon@POTATOSLICER.COM>

Look for a burnt valve or an ignition miss.

Dennis

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting to the list, so I'd like to say thanks for the info I've already absorbed by lurking. I think this list is a really neat community. :)

So on to my question but first a little background..

I've got an 85 1.9 WB that seems to be running a little rich. A shop that specializes in vanagons made some adjustments and then told me that they had done all they could (for what I had paid them) and that the problem might be a leaky injector.

A few months go by and I'm still driving the van running rich and haven't had time or money to look into the injector problem (basically I feel like the van has already served me with the $800 I bought it for, and that it's not worth it to spend much more money on it, salvaged title, body damage and all..

Next annoying thing was that the cat <-> muffler connection would keep rattling apart, I bolted it back together a few times wasting a new gasket each time until I finally looked to see that one of the exhaust brackets that connects to the oil pan was loose, the screw had backed partially out and started to shear.

Eventually, my cat died and sent chunks into the muffler, this caused them to overheat, hardly any power and bright red exhaust parts when I pulled over to check it out.

So... here is my question:

Now that I have replaced the muffler and cat, all gaskets and bolts with new, why would my muffler start glowing again? On a warm up from cold, just driving about 1 mile to the grocery store by the time I got there the midsection of the muffler, sightly towards the cat side of the bracket was glowing dimly, also the small welded on pipe going from the cat into the muffler (the piece about 1" long between where the cat bolts on and where it goes inside the muffler) was also red. Could this be due to the rich condition? Maybe unburnt gas that is burning inside or is that stupid?

I know that I'm just going to kill the new cat, unless I fix the problem of running rich, but I'd just like to get the van to a state where I can bring it over to the mechanics and have them take a look at the injectors.

Mike