Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:08:16 -0700
From:         Maggie Dew <wildebus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel pump +Mom problem
Comments: To: Bill.MacLachlan@city.burnaby.bc.ca

When I was going to change the fuel pump on my New Mexico trip (before it miraculously started running again) I was going to clamp off the fuel line from the tank but the hose seemed pretty rigid - not very pliable at all. I do have some needle nosed vice grips now - so should it be OK to go ahead and clamp that line, even though it doesn't seem too compliant?

On 11/9/05, MacLachlan, Bill <Bill.MacLachlan@city.burnaby.bc.ca> wrote: > > Fuel pump should be easy. I wouldn't bother draining the tank. I'd get a > pair of vice grips ( needle nosed ones are best, wrap the jaws in a bit > of duct tape/fuel hose), and use them to clamp shut the fuel line from > the tank. This will minimise the fuel that drains over your arm when you > are working under there. Might want to check out the condition of tank > to pump lines while you are there. > > Oh btw, when you release the line on the engine side of the pump, gas > will spurt out because the system is always under pressure there..... > > And you'll need two open ended wrenches on the engine side > connection...one on the pump and one on the captive nut....it'll make > sense when you see the pump! > > Hope this helps > > > Bill M 82GL > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Maggie Dew > Sent: November 9, 2005 9:55 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: fuel pump +Mom problem > > 1) I'm expecting the new Bosch fuel pump to arrive any day. Is this as > easy as it looks to replace on my '85? My gas tank is nearly empty - so > I plan to drain it, take the old pump and filter off and put the new > ones on. Anything else I might need to know? I'm fairly mechanically > challenged but I'll give it a go. > > 2) I guess this is Vanagon content - since my Mom can't get in the van. > I never thought, when I was getting the A.B. up and running, that my Mom > wouldn't be able to get in. She is 82, uses a cane, and her quad muscles > are very weak. I got a step stool and tried to get her in the back of > the van, but she couldn't make it with that one step and without > something to hold onto. I'm thinking of something akin to those steps > with rails that roll up to an airplane - only on a small scale. Also, > I'm temporarily impecunious, so it has to be cheap. > > Thanks, > Maggie > '85 Subaru-Westy "Anne Bonney" >