Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:30:49 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 9 Nov 2005 - Special issue (#2005-930)

The sound deadening stuff you want is called "Foilastic" and its a roofing material made by Polyken and sold at roofing supply places--- at least here in Northern CA it is. It has a foil side and a blue plastic release side and is super tenacious at sticking to stuff. It does not smell at all and you can either paint or glue down stuff to the foil (up) side. I buy it in 9" rolls (it comes 1" to 36") for $40 for 50ft. I lined both walls of my front doors and the floor and ceiling in my cab area and it is like night and day sound-wise in there. My doors "thunk" instead of "bang" when I close them and I can carry on a conversation without shouting--unless I am mad at my passenger for some reason. I also did the engine deck behind the rear seats and inside the wardrobe (too lazy to pull THAT cabinet). As soon as I pull out the fridge and stove cabinet I will do the rest of the back of the van including the walls where I can get to them. I plan to also add some silver bubble wrap radiant insulation (Home Depot) to the foils side of the Foilastic wherever I can to cut down the radiant heat coming into the van. The bubble stuff also makes great window insulator panels if you use a suction cup in each corner of each panel.