Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:24:28 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: how many of you DONT have the armrest thingys on your front
              doorpanels?

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:38:55 EST From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: how many of you DONT have the armrest thingys on your front doorpanels?

how many of you single/Doublecab owners out there (Tri-Stars not included) do NOT have the little armrest thingys on your front doorpanels?

my '85 doka 6 seater non-walk thru came with the black doorpanels, and the black and grey "plaid" cloth seats.. with no armrests, of course. but it did NOT have the armrest thingys on the front doorpanels. i have seen other dokas that DID have the armrest thingys.. was there any rhyme or reason to the factory's placement of these armrest thingys on the front doorpanels? i have seen some with, some without.. all being in trucks that has no armrests on the front seats. michael sullivan's syncro doka (http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/doublecab/Claude_WebPics/pictur es/342-4223_img.html) has the same interior as mine, but with the armrest thingys .. was this part iof a trim option "M code" or anything?? anyone really know? just curious...

Chris,

Whilst there are some equipment level discrepancies between different markets, most Transporters, be they vans, single cabs or Dokas do not appear to have come standard with the door mounted armrests.... They were however an option and also were (are?) available from VW to be retrofitted to Transporters. I suspect this is why you have seen some Dokas with them and some without...some owners wanted them...some didn't care or didn't even know they could have them. Tristars obviously would not have had them as they had the flip-up armrests in the seats rendering the door mounted ones not only obsolete...but also they also would have physically clashed with each other.

My '92 Transporter did not have them when I first bought it but I ordered them soon after from the dealer and they fitted them when I came in for it's first service. They can be fitted to any T3 as the mounting points are in the door and the door panels have the screw holes in the hardboard behind the vinyl trim...

YMMV however this is how it was at least outside the Nth American market where the Transporter models were sold and the V-word was never uttered...;-)

Still, having said that, some VW random-ness could well have occurred...For instance, my brother-in-law's '97 T4 Doka came with a door panel pocket in both front doors. My '00 Doka came new with only one on the driver's side. When I took delivery of the '03 Doka, it again had pockets in the panels of both front doors....so naturally I had to order a passenger's side one from VW for the '00 so it didn't feel left out...

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land rover 109 Series 3 Soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)